Happy Halloween, fellow bookworms! If you’re anything like us, you’re already wondering how soon you can trade in your hot, itchy costume for a spooky book (and, okay, maybe some loot from the candy bowl too). After all, trick-or-treating is worth it for the kids’ pure joy, and everyone loves a fun party, but at the same time, like…IT’S A THURSDAY, KAREN. Obviously, some downtime is well deserved.
But what to read, hmm? Depending on your mood, you may be looking for a story that’s flat-out frightening, slightly moody, or somewhere in between. The 10 book lists below run the gamut and are 100% guaranteed to help you find a sweet Halloween treat of a read.
- Not sold on scary books? Allow us to make the case for Why You Should Read Horror (Even if It Scares You)
- The Get Lit team share their top picks for the day in Our Favorite Halloween Reads: 7 Chilling & Thrilling Books to Add to Your TBR
- If you’re obsessed with The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, summon 4 Books to Awaken Your Inner Witch
- Need a quick horror fix? Don’t miss these 7 Literary Quotes to Curdle Your Blood This Halloween
- C’mon, let us divine the audiobook you’ll listen to next… Quiz: Which Witchy Audiobook Is the Perfect Listen for Your Personality?
- Expand your worldview with 6 Haunting Horror Novels Featuring Protagonists of Color
- In which the ladies are in charge: Feel the Fear with These 6 Female-Led Spooky Reads
- Thrill-seekers, this one’s for you: 7 Frightfully Good Thrillers You Can’t Miss This Halloween
- Absolutely positive horror is not the genre for you? Treat yourself to 9 Creepy (But Not Too Creepy) Books for Scaredy-Cats (via Off the Shelf)
- Still not sure what to read next? We got you: Quiz: Which Spooky Halloween Book Should You Read? (via Riveted)